Thursday, April 7, 2011

SLAMMA JAMMA

So last night I had the chance to play some basketball. And whenever I play basketball I ALWAYS make an attempt to dunk. Usually after I've warmed up and played a game or two. (So i don't pull anything... Man I feel like an old man) And its not like I can do it every time. Its really weird, sometimes I can, and most of the time I can't. Anyways, I was thinking about that last night and I had this comparison come to me, so I thought I'd share it. Dunking a basketball (for me), compared to feeling the Holy Ghost.

I realized last night that when I prepare myself physically beforehand, my chances of dunking greatly increase. One week I decided that I really wanted to be able to dunk, so I spent that week not gorging myself and ate "healthy" (that term is used VERY lightly and is relative to a missionary diet). But the same can be said for feeling the Holy Ghost. When we prepare ourselves spiritually, we increase our chances of having a very spiritual experience. An example would be doing something like "fasting" (not eating or drinking for 24 hours prior) to get yourself ready for church or something else. And fasting is not supposed to be just going hungry for 24 hours, when we fast we should have a purpose (like a special blessing for someone). So whenever I get myself ready physically, I have a much better chance of dunking. Likewise whenever I spiritually prepare myself for an experience, I greatly increase my chances of feeling the Holy Ghost.

Also, when I am more consistant in playing basketball I have better results. If I get the opportunity to play more than once a week, my vertical just gets better... I don't know how to explain that, but it just does. Likewise when we are more consistant in trying to feel the Holy Ghost, our ability to feel it increases. I guess that can really be compared to anything really... The more you practice at something, the better you become at it.

Not actually me... but kinda
And last point, when I actually dunk, I feel on top of the world. Yes I am white, and yes my BMI (body mass index) has me listed as obese, but when I overcome that and dunk, it makes me feel awesome. And whenever I feel the Holy Ghost touch me and prompt me, I feel great. There is no better feeling than that. The peace that it brings and wonderful feelings it gives are second to none. And that is why I love fast and testimony meeting (1st sunday of the month in church), because I have usually prepared myself by fasting and because of that I have prepared myself to have a spiritual experience.

I really hope this made sense to you. Sometimes I have things pop in my head and i feel like I should share it, but if you liked this, I'll try to keep it coming!

1 comment: